This week's show is full of hard-hitting information about the pharmaceutical industry, including coverage of the ABC's Heart of the Matter, Part 2, which focuses on statin drugs. Also, DNA barcoding shows that many herbal supplements are not what they seem. We also cover the updated Nordic Dietary Recommendations. The Moment of Paleo covers rigid versus intuitive approaches. After the Bell: Alan Watts; Herbal Supplements; and the Nordic Dietary Recommendations press conference.
Support for the Show
- ManGrate - Just set a ManGrate on your grill and you get 8 lbs of iron that reduce flare ups, hold the heat, cooks your meat like the pros, and leaves perfect grill marks every time. See the video that explains it here. Great for the holidays!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Listeners Making Donations
- Jay K. in Queensland, Australia; Masood S. in Troy, MI; Darrol and Tracey W. in Mullica Hill, NJ; Jean-Yves B. in Saint-Lys, France; and Deborah L. in Walnut Creek, CA.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing, helps the show big time.
- Halloween Treats Gone Wrong
- Eating Habits - Louis CK (Thanks, Ronald K.)
- ABC Urged to Pull Catalyst "Heart of the Matter"
- ABC Catalyst - Heart of the Matter, Part 2
- ABC (video): http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3881441.htm
- YouTube (video): http://youtu.be/wAKaM330xzg
- Johnson & Johnson to Pay $2.2 Billion
- Herbal Supplements Often Not What They Seem
- ADHD (Thanks, Tom K.)
- Unlikely to be Caused by Dopamine Dysfunction - MNT: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/268016.php
- Current Affair: http://youtu.be/YdnvoEpoI6o
- Why French Kids Don't Have ADHD: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/why-french-kids-dont-have-adhd
- Sweden and the Nordic Dietary Guidelines of 2013
- Thank you, Alma A. and Kim S. for the local information and translations!
- Food Navigator: http://www.foodnavigator.com/Legislation/New-Nordic-dietary-guidelines-emphasise-whole-diet-quality
- National Food Agency: http://www.slv.se/en-gb/
- Full Nordic Dietary Recommendation - Norden.org (PDF, English Language Edition): http://www.norden.org/sv/publikationer/publikationer/nord-2013-009/at_download/publicationfile
- NutraIngredients.com (video, press conference): http://www.nutraingredients.com/Regulation/Nordic-nations-up-vitamin-D-and-selenium-intakes-after-8-year-review
- NCBI: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3790914/
Moment of Paleo
- Prickles & Goo, Rigidness versus Intuitiveness
After the Bell
- Alan Watts — Prickles & Goo
- NY Times Herbal Supplement Discussion
- Nordic Dietary Recommendations, Press Conference
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro