On this episode: a book & documentary recommendation; promoting brain health; illegally thin runway models; Blue Zones; and a new look at chronic cardio. Plus, a Listener Letter about "the dieting mind;" and an After the Bell segment featuring David Epstein.
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Plant Paleo Links
- Angelo's Body Composition Update: http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/body-composition-update-after-plant-paleo-weight-loss/
- Vegetable Pharm (Tim Steele's blog): http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com/2015/04/humans-are-not-brokenplant-paleo.html
- The Plant Paleo Diet: http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/about/plant-paleo/
- Plant Paleo Pt 1: The Gather-Hunter Diet — http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/plant-paleo-part-1-the-gatherer-hunter-diet/
- Book Recommendation
- Sapiens: A brief history of humankind
- Free 30-day Audible Membership - Audible is an Amazon company that provides audiobooks you can listen to on your phone, music player, or computer. Your free trial includes 2 free audiobooks, so you can choose Sapiens and another book of your choice.
- Sapiens: A brief history of humankind
- Goshen: A Place of Refuge for the Running People (The Tarahumara)
- Promoting Brain Health
- CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-to-protect-your-aging-brain/
- Institute of Medicine (full report, PDF): http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2015/Cognitive_aging/Action%20Guide%20for%20Individuals%20and%20Families_V3.pdf
- Medscape: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/843108
- Health Day: http://consumer.healthday.com/senior-citizen-information-31/misc-aging-news-10/protect-your-aging-brain-698362.html
- NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/04/14/399599727/no-rest-for-your-sleeping-brain
- Study (sleep): http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273%2815%2900214-7
- Underweight Models
- Newsy.com: http://www.newsy.com/videos/france-could-ban-underweight-models-from-runway/
- PBS.org: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/france-bans-underweight-models-pro-ana-websites/
- The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/3/8339177/france-bans-pro-anorexia-websites-too-skinny-models
- TIME: http://time.com/3770696/france-banned-ultra-thin-models/
- Blue Zones
- CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/food-choices-longevity-blue-zones-solution/
- NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/04/11/398325030/eating-to-break-100-longevity-diet-tips-from-the-blue-zones
- National Geographic: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/150412-longevity-health-blue-zones-obesity-diet-ngbooktalk/
- YouTube (Buettner Interview): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-I1GOVQfK8
- Get the Books
- More Research on Intense Running
- NY Times Well Blog: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/the-right-dose-of-exercise-for-a-longer-life/
- Runner's World: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/fear-not-marathoners-too-much-running-wont-kill-you
- Study: http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2212267
- Study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25844882
- The Mind-game Diet via an email from listener, Marie T.
- Contact me (Angelo) with any of your questions or comments and I may respond on the show (with your permission).
- Thank you Pedro C. in Recife, Brazil; Patrick F. in Seattle, WA; Martin K. in Bloomfield, NJ; Carol C. in Precy Sur Oise, France; Missy H. in Boswell, IN.
- Thank you as well to those who have established automatic monthly donations. Your continuing support is greatly appreciated.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
After the Bell
- David Epstein - Are Athletes Really Getting Faster - TED Talk
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/100603/three-minutes-to-escape - Purakai
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/760302/sitting-on-the-grass - TX Bar Organics
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro