In this episode's News & Views segment, we cover recent research that reveals ultra-processed foods make up more than 50% of the American diet, while whole foods and minimally processed foods combined make up only 30 percent. We also talk about how sugar plays into the processed-food diet. Then, we consider what happens when animals and plants are raised on "junk food diets." The Moment of Paleo segment is about the real-food movement. Also covered: Canada's 30 x 30 Nature Challenge, a new book recommendation, and Mark Bittman in the After the Bell segment delivering a talk called What's Wrong with What we Eat?
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Spending Time in Nature
- David Suzuki Foundation: 30 x 30 Challenge
- New Book Recommendation
News & Views
- UltraProcessed Food
- BMJ Open: Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the US diet: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study
- CBS News: "Ultra-processed" foods a huge chunk of American diet
- The Atlantic: More Than Half of What Americans Eat Is 'Ultra-Processed'
- LA Times: What's wrong with the American diet? More than half our calories come from 'ultra-processed' foods
- Daily Rx: Ultra-Processed Foods in the American Diet
- Sugar Association (YouTube): Sugar Commercial
- Junk Food for Plants
- Thank you Joe P. in Atlanta, GA; Michellea D. in Mission Viejo, CA; Loren G. in Manchester, Lancashire, UK; Ed D. in Omaha, NE; and Judy A. in San Francisco, CA!
- New Recurring Donors
- Thank you Doug F.; Theodore L.; and Paul S. in San Francisco, CA.
- Thank you also to those who continue to support the show with their recurring donations.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Moment of Paleo
- The Real Real-food Movement
After the Bell
- Mark Bittman
- Ted.com: What's Wrong With What We Eat?
This Week's Music Selections
- Pre-roll: Bedtime Blues
- Intro: Test Drive
- PuraKai Ad: Three Minutes to Escape
- Shinrin Yoku Update: Playing with Spirit
- Human Movement: Drum Groove Cala
- Moment of Paleo: From "Oldest African Drumming Footage Ever"
- Outro: Terra Amazonia
- After the Bell: A Conversation with Myself