In this episode's News & Views segment, we cover recent research that reveals ultra-processed foods make up more than 50% of the American diet, while whole foods and minimally processed foods combined make up only 30 percent. We also talk about how sugar plays into the processed-food diet. Then, we consider what happens when animals and plants are raised on "junk food diets." The Moment of Paleo segment is about the real-food movement. Also covered: Canada's 30 x 30 Nature Challenge, a new book recommendation, and Mark Bittman in the After the Bell segment delivering a talk called What's Wrong with What we Eat?
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Spending Time in Nature
- David Suzuki Foundation: 30 x 30 Challenge
- New Book Recommendation
- Over-diagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health
- List of All Book and Audiobook Recommendations
News & Views
- UltraProcessed Food
- BMJ Open: Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the US diet: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study
- CBS News: "Ultra-processed" foods a huge chunk of American diet
- The Atlantic: More Than Half of What Americans Eat Is 'Ultra-Processed'
- LA Times: What's wrong with the American diet? More than half our calories come from 'ultra-processed' foods
- Daily Rx: Ultra-Processed Foods in the American Diet
- Sugar Association (YouTube): Sugar Commercial
- Junk Food for Plants
Support the Show!
- Visit LatestInPaleo.com and see the right-hand sidebar to make a donation with PayPal or Bitcoin.
- Thank you to everyone who continues to support the show with their recurring donations.
- Amazon! This site participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which provides us with a means to earn advertising fees:
- Book and Audiobook Recommendations
Moment of Paleo
- The Real Real-food Movement
After the Bell
- Mark Bittman
- Ted.com: What's Wrong With What We Eat?
This Week's Music Selections
- Pre-roll: Bedtime Blues
- Intro: Test Drive
- PuraKai Ad: Three Minutes to Escape
- Shinrin Yoku Update: Playing with Spirit
- Human Movement: Drum Groove Cala
- Moment of Paleo: From "Oldest African Drumming Footage Ever"
- Outro: Terra Amazonia
- After the Bell: A Conversation with Myself