On this episode, I discuss my recent 5-day fast: how it went, what I learned, and whether I'll be doing it again. In the News & Views segment, we discuss a CNN article about fasting and longevity as well as a NY Times article that indicates intermittent fasting is becoming more widely accepted. You'll learn about a 450-lb man who did not eat food for over a year and reduced his body to a normal size. In the Moment of Paleo, I offer some ideas about when less is more. And After the Bell features a Dr. Jason Fung presentation about fasting as an important health tool. Enjoy the show!
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Documentary Recommendation
- BBC's Eat, Fast, and Live Longer: Full 60-minute Program
News & Views
- CNN Health: Occasional fasting could help you live longer
- AOL Lifestyle (video): Periodic fasting may lead to longer, healthier lives
- New York Times: Fasting Diets Are Gaining Acceptance
- Journal of Experimental Medicine: Dietary restriction improves repopulation but impairs lymphoid differentiation capacity of hematopoietic stem cells in early aging
- Science Alert: Here's How Occasional Fasting could actually be good for you
- Medical Xpress: The up- and downside of caloric restriction for aging and health
- Aging Advice: Fast Mimicking Diet Recipes
Fasting Deep Dive
- Wikipedia: Fasting
- Wikipedia: Daniel Diet
- BeliefNet: Fasting Chart
- All About Fasting: Home Page
- Medical News Today: Fasting: health benefits and risks
- Journal Cell Metabolism: A Periodic Diet that Mimics Fasting Promotes Multi-System Regeneration, Enhanced Cognitive Performance, and Healthspan
- Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation, Chapter 2: A History of Modern Research into Fasting, Starvation, and Inanition
- Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics: Medically Supervised Water-only Fasting in the Treatment of Hypertension
- Authority Nutrition: 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- Jason Fung: The Fasting 'Advantage'
- Harper's: Starving Your Way to Vigor
- The Telegraph: Five day 'fasting' diet slows down aging and may add years to life
- Aging Matters: The three-day fast: Day Four
- Lifeboat Foundation: Author's Bio
- The Columbia Chronicle: Bursts of fasting may be key to longevity and health
- Newsweek: Could a 5-day Fasting Diet Prolong Your Life?
- Journal CancerEffect of diet and exercise on serum insulin, IGF-1, and IGFBP-1 levels and growth of LNCaP cells in vitro Causes & Control:
Fasting for 1 Year
- The Story of Mr. AB
- Postgraduate Medical Journal (case report): Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration
- ABC Science: A year without food
- Jason Fung: The Ancient Secret of Weight Loss, Part 8
- MentalHelp.Net: Is Fasting an Effective Therapy for Weight Loss?
Support the Show!
- Visit LatestInPaleo.com and see the right-hand sidebar to make a donation with PayPal or Bitcoin.
- Thank you to everyone who continues to support the show with their recurring donations.
- Amazon! This site participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which provides us with a means to earn advertising fees:
- Book and Audiobook Recommendations
Moment of Paleo
- When Less is More
After the Bell
- Jason Fung — The Aetiology of Obesity
- YouTube: Part 4: The Fast Solution
This Week's Music Selections
- Pre-roll: Bedtime Blues
- Intro: Test Drive
- PuraKai Ad: Three Minutes to Escape
- Shinrin Yoku Update: Playing with Spirit
- Human Movement: Drum Groove Cala
- Moment of Paleo: From "Oldest African Drumming Footage Ever"
- Outro: Terra Amazonia
- After the Bell: A Conversation with Myself