A recent study on low carb, high fat (LCHF) diets led to a prominent researcher issuing warnings about the Paleo diet, calling it dangerous, and this rippled out in the media. On this episode, we take a look at that study and show why it is so misleading and why some researchers are calling for a retraction. In other news, a new study shows major health benefits from just a little weight loss, and the CDC tells us 83 million American adults don't get enough sleep. There is also a recap of the Newcastle research, which every diabetic should be aware of.
The Moment of Paleo furthers the theme of small changes, big impact. There are new book and documentary recommendations. The After the Bell segment features Dr. Ian Spreadburry's excellent talk for the New Zealand Ancestral Health Symposium further strengthening the proposition that whole food delivers good health—if you don't know the difference between acellular and cellular carbs, you will after this talk, and you'll be glad you do. Enjoy the show!
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Documentary Recommendation
- The Diet Myth on SBS
- SBS on Demand: Watch The Diet Myth
- News.com.au: The Diet Myth documentary: The real reason we’re fat
- New Book Recommendation
- The Diet Myth: Why the Secret to Health and Weight Loss is Already in Your Gut
- List of All Book and Audiobook Recommendations
- The Diet Myth on SBS
News & Views
- Paleo Diet Safe? What did Cavemen Eat?
- University of Melbourne (press release): Diabetes expert warns paleo diet is dangerous and increases weight gain
- University of Melbourne: Paleo Diet = Weight Gain
- Nutrition & Diabetes (study): A low-carbohydrate high-fat diet increases weight gain and does not improve glucose tolerance, insulin secretion or β-cell mass in NZO mice
- Sydney Morning Herald (video): Celebrity chef Pete Evans mocks study showing Paleo diet could make you fat
- The Telegraph: New study says Paleo diet 'unhealthy and fattening' angering ardent devotees
- Aaron Blaisdell's Blog: Diet Research Insanity
- Newcastle Diet to Reverse Diabetes: Eat to beat diabetes in just eight weeks: It's the life-changing diet that can help you avoid or even reverse Type 2 diabetes.
- Newcastle University: Notes to Take to Your Doctor About Reversing Diabetes
- Health Benefits of Modest Weight Loss
- New York Times Well Blog: Big Health Benefits to Small Weight Loss
- Cell Metabolism (study): Effects of Moderate and Subsequent Progressive Weight Loss on Metabolic Function and Adipose Tissue Biology in Humans with Obesity
- 5News KSFM KXNW: Even Small Weight Loss Benefits Health
- CDC (study): Prevalence of Healthy Sleep Duration among Adults
- The Wall Street Journal: The Americans Who Don’t Get Enough Sleep
- NBC News: A Third of Americans Aren't Getting Enough Sleep
- Daily Mail: White people sleep the most, study finds - but prepare for a rough night if you're unemployed or live in Hawaii
- Newsy: CDC Still Says Americans Aren't Getting Enough Sleep
- CBS News: Sleep Loss Gets Scary in CDC Report
Support the Show!
- Visit LatestInPaleo.com and see the right-hand sidebar to make a donation with PayPal or Bitcoin.
- Thank you to everyone who continues to support the show with their recurring donations.
- Amazon! This site participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which provides us with a means to earn advertising fees:
- Book and Audiobook Recommendations
Moment of Paleo
- Small Changes, Big Impacts
After the Bell
- Ancestral Health Society of New Zealand - Dr Ian Spreadbury
This Week's Music Selections
- Pre-roll: Bedtime Blues
- Intro: Test Drive
- PuraKai Ad: Three Minutes to Escape
- Shinrin Yoku Update: Playing with Spirit
- Human Movement: Drum Groove Cala
- Moment of Paleo: From "Oldest African Drumming Footage Ever"
- Outro: Terra Amazonia
- After the Bell: A Conversation with Myself