Today’s show starts with recommendations for Michael Pollan’s latest documentary and a new audiobook. In the News & Views segment: the broken calorie; underarm deodorant, the skin microbiome, and how we were convinced that we smell bad in the first place; also, the top 20 perils facing America…100 years ago. In the Shinrin-yoku Update, the Every Kid in a Park program is explained. The Moment of Paleo segment explores why you aren’t—and shouldn’t expect to be—the average. After the Bell we have two great pieces: Trail Angel Ponytail Paul followed by a talk by 91-year old legendary coach John Wooden.
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Documentary Recommendation
- New Book Recommendation
News & Views
- The Broken Calorie
- The Atlantic: What Does a Calorie Measure?
- NY Magazine: Calorie Counting is Terrible on All Fronts
- CNBC: McDonald's New Salad Has More Calories Than a Big Mac
- YouTube: Why is a Calorie Not a Calorie?
- Underarm Deodorant Alters Skin Microbiome
- Study: The effect of habitual and experimental antiperspirant and deodorant product use on the armpit microbiome
- UPI: Deodorant Has Significant Effect on Underarm Microbes
- Quartz: Antiperspirants and deodorants are changing your body’s microbes
- Mother Nature News: What deodorant does to your underarm bacteria
- Newsy: Your deodorant may be messing with your body's microbes
- Smithsonian: How advertisers convinced Americans they Smelled Bad
- Perspective: Perils of 100 Years Ago
- The Tacoma Times: Scientists Say America Faces 20 PERILS
Shinrin Yoku Update
- Every Kid in a Park
Support the Show!
- Visit LatestInPaleo.com and see the right-hand sidebar to make a donation with PayPal or Bitcoin.
- Thank you to everyone who continues to support the show with their recurring donations.
- Amazon! This site participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which provides us with a means to earn advertising fees:
- Book and Audiobook Recommendations
Moment of Paleo
- You're Not the Average
After the Bell
- REI / YouTube: Every Trail Connects. Trail Angel - The Story of Ponytail Paul.
- TED: John Wooden on Difference Between Winning & Success
This Week's Music Selections
- Pre-roll: Bedtime Blues
- Intro: Test Drive
- PuraKai Ad: Three Minutes to Escape
- Shinrin Yoku Update: Playing with Spirit
- Song played during "20 Perils" story: Acoustic Folk Instrumental
- Moment of Paleo: From "Oldest African Drumming Footage Ever"
- Outro: Terra Amazonia
- After the Bell: A Conversation with Myself