On this week's holiday episode our News & Views segment starts at Krispy Kreme to see if we can extract any good take-aways from the recent class-action lawsuit filed against the chain. Then, it's on to a recent study about what happens when you don't feed your gut bacteria...what do they eat instead? The segment is rounded out with coverage of recent research on whole milk for kids and a new–somewhat strange–non-pharmaceutical weight-loss pill. The Moment of Paleo segment offers thoughts on restriction and upcoming holiday feasts. And After the Bell features a talk about life's invisible feast. Enjoy the show!
News & Views
- Krispy Kreme Being Sued
- Fortune: Krispy Kreme Is Being Sued For Not Using Real Fruit
- Law Street Media: A Fruitless Suit?: Krispy Kreme Sued Over Fake Berry-Flavored Donuts
- New York Daily News: Kreme-filled lies — Doughnut company faces a Krispy $5M lawsuit
- Fiber, Gut Bacteria, and a Leaky Gut
- Journal Cell: A Dietary Fiber-Deprived Gut Microbiota Degrades the Colonic Mucus Barrier and Enhances Pathogen Susceptibility
- University of Michigan: High-fiber diet keeps gut microbes from eating the colon’s lining, protects against infection, animal study shows
- Medical News Today: Eating fiber keeps gut microbes from eating you
- Medical Daily: Eat Fiber: Whole Grains Prevent Gut Microbes From Eating Intestine Lining, Increasing Infection Risk
- CSIRO (video): The Hungry Microbiome: why resistant starch is good for you
- CSIRO: The Hungry Microbiome: Which Foods Contain Resistant Starch
- Whole Milk for Kids
- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Relation between milk-fat percentage, vitamin D, and BMI z score in early childhood
- CBC News: Do we have it backward on giving kids low fat milk instead of whole?
- USA Today: Kids who drink whole milk slimmer than those who don't
- Slate: Would You Wear a Sweater Made From Milk?
- Balloon Pills for Weight Loss
- Study: A 6-Month Swallowable Balloon System Results In Sustainable Weight Loss At 1 Year: Results from A Prospective, Randomized Sham-Controlled Trial
- Medline Plus: Balloon-in-a-Pill Helped Obese Patients Lose Weight
- TIME: This Weight Loss Pill Inflates a Balloon In Your Stomach
- CNN: Weight-loss balloon helps shed twice the weight, study says
Moment of Paleo
- A Time for Everything
After the Bell
- Sarah Susanka: Possibilities—life's invisible feast
Support the Show!
- Why and how to support Latest in Paleo: LatestInPaleo.com/support
- Donations. Thank you to everyone who supports our show via one-time and recurring donations. Use the link directly above if you'd like to make a donation.
- Amazon. This site participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which provides a means for generating revenues that make our show possible. Please use these links to shop on Amazon:
- Amazon & Audible Books: My Recommendations
This Week's Music Selections
- Pre-roll & Post-roll - http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148
- Intro - http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047
- Shinrin Yoku Update - https://soundcloud.com/angelocoppola/playing-with-spirit
- Moment of Paleo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2Ht2fuP2w
- Outro - http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638
- After the Bell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aufuwMiKmE