Liam Bowler and Carrie Forrest join us to discuss News & Views. We start with three very interesting stories centering around genetics: anxiety's link to metabolic disorder; the 'fat gene' and weight loss; and the latest research on the 'thrifty gene hypothesis.' The Moment of Paleo segment furthers some of the themes discussed during the news segment and revolves around boxing ourselves into various narratives. After the Bell features Jennifer Douden, one of the inventors of CRISPR, a genome editing tool.
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Liam Bowler
- Carrie Forrest
News & Views
- Anxiety & Weight Gain
- Trends in Molecular Medicine (study): MicroRNA Regulators of Anxiety and Metabolic Disorders
- Medical Xpress: Study reveals a biological link between stress and obesity
- Medical Daily: Why Anxiety Can Lead To Weight Gain: New Study
- The Jerusalem Post: Israeli researchers find first biological link between stress and obesity
- Obesity Gene & Weight Loss
- BMJ (study): FTO genotype and weight loss: systematic review and meta-analysis of 9563 individual participant data from eight randomised controlled trials
- The Guardian: Obesity gene no barrier to weight loss, study shows
- MedicalXpress: FTO Gene Not an Obesity Life Sentence: Study
- 23andme: SNPwatch: Gene Variant Linked to Obesity Affects Food Choices in Children
- Thrifty Gene Hypothesis
- Cell Metabolism (study): Analysis of Positive Selection at Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms Associated with Body Mass Index Does Not Support the “Thrifty Gene” Hypothesis
- Popular Science: OBESITY MIGHT NOT HAVE EVOLVED TO PROTECT US FROM STARVATION
- Genetic Literacy Project: Human tendency for obesity not result of evolutionary adaptation to survive famine
- Body Posture
Moment of Paleo
- Boxed in by Belief
Support the Show!
- Visit LatestInPaleo.com and see the right-hand sidebar to make a donation with PayPal or Bitcoin.
- Thank you to everyone who continues to support the show with their recurring donations.
- Amazon! This site participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which provides us with a means to earn advertising fees:
- Book and Audiobook Recommendations
After the Bell
- TED / Jennifer Douden: How CRISPR lets us edit our DNA
This Week's Music Selections