On this week's show, we discuss some of the latest research and findings in our News & Views segment. Our stories are about how the soda industry plays politics to advance its agenda, whether salt is good or bad in the human diet, and whether calcium supplements pose a heart-health risk. The Moment of Paleo segment offers ideas about how we can think about areas of our lives, by analogy, based on what we know about whole foods vs. processed foods and supplements. In the After the Bell segment a truly thought-provoking talk about how we create ourselves with our thoughts.
- Book recommendation 1: The End of Dieting
- Book recommendation 2: The Paleo Answer
News & Views
- Soda, Sugar, Politics & Pay Offs...
- NBC News: Pepsi to Cut Sugar and Calories in Drinks in Drive to Tackle Obesity
- Study, American Journal of Preventive Medicine: Sponsorship of National Health Organizations by Two Major Soda Companies
- New York Times: Coke and Pepsi Give Millions to Public Health, Then Lobby Against It
- Ars Technica: Big soda is buying off big health orgs to keep profits and Americans fat
- CNN Money: Pepsi gets aggressive on cutting sugar
- Is salt bad for you? New study.
- Study, Journal of the American College of Cardiology - Sodium Intake and All-Cause Mortality Over 20 Years in the Trials of Hypertension Prevention
- CTV News (video): Hold the salt this Thanksgiving for a longer life: study
- Renal & Urology News: Lowering Salt Intake Reduces Mortality, Study Confirms
- WebMD: More Research Cites Salt's Potential Health Risks
- Calcium supplements & heart disease
- Study, Journal of the American Heart Association: Calcium Intake From Diet and Supplements and the Risk of Coronary Artery Calcification and its Progression Among Older Adults: 10‐Year Follow‐up of the Multi‐Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis
- Johns Hopkins Medicine: Calcium Supplements May Damage the Heart
- Washington Post: Calcium supplements could increase risk of heart disease, new study finds
- NBC News: Study: Calcium Supplements Actually Increases Risk of Heart Disease
Support the Show!
- Why and how to support Latest in Paleo: LatestInPaleo.com/support
- Donations. Thank you to everyone who supports our show via one-time and recurring donations.
- Amazon. This site participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which provides a means for generating revenues that make our show possible. Please use these links when you shop on Amazon:
- Book and Audiobook Recommendations
Moment of Paleo
- The Whole Life
After the Bell
- Isaac Lidsky: What reality are you creating for yourself?
This Week's Music Selections
- Pre-roll & Post-roll: http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148
- Intro: http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047
- Shinrin Yoku Update: https://soundcloud.com/angelocoppola/playing-with-spirit
- Moment of Paleo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2Ht2fuP2w
- Outro: http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638
- After the Bell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aufuwMiKmE