Today's show features a report on average American body weight in the 1960's vs. today; The Dorito Effect; big food and artificial flavors & colorings; America's latest trans fat ban; and a Shinrin Yoku update. Plus, we have audiobook and documentary recommendations, a Moment of Paleo (What's Missing?), and an After the Bell Segment (The Truth that Lasts).
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- World Map with Rising Sea Levels: http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/
- Tsunami Mapper: http://tsunami-maps.com/index.html
- The Really Big One, The New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one
- Trailer—That Sugar Film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaWekLrilY
- Audiobook Recommendation
- 1491 by Charles Mann (Amazon): audiobook • US • CA • UK • DE
- Start your risk-free 30-day Audible.com trial and get your first book totally free—if you don't care for the book you choose, you can swap for another, no questions asked. Use this link to sign up, and you'll also help support the show: http://www.audibletrial.com/HumansAreNotBroken.
- Average Woman Weighs as Much as 1960s Man
- Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/12/look-at-how-much-weight-weve-gained-since-the-1960s/
- Medical Daily: http://www.medicaldaily.com/average-american-woman-today-weighs-same-average-man-60s-so-imagine-how-heavy-todays-338428
- GeoBeats, AOL: http://on.aol.com/video/modern-american-women-and-1960s-men-now-weigh-the-same-518883583
- The Dorito Effect
- The Book: audiobook • US • CA • UK • DE
- The Globe & Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/food-trends/the-flavour-factor-undoing-the-dorito-effect/article24151856/
- NY Post: http://nypost.com/2015/04/26/why-nothing-especially-chicken-tastes-like-it-used-to/
- CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-may-7-2015-1.3064589/mark-schatzker-our-flavourless-food-leads-to-unhealthy-cravings-1.3064608
- CBS (video): http://www.cbsnews.com/news/food-flavorings-may-be-fueling-obesity-epidemic/
- Artificial Flavors & Colors
- Newsy (General Mills): http://www.newsy.com/videos/following-a-trend-general-mills-removing-artificial-flavors/
- Wall Street Journal: http://www.wsj.com/articles/general-mills-to-remove-artificial-flavors-colors-from-all-cereals-1434981373
- USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/06/22/general-mills-artificial-ingredients-cereal/29101165/
- Washington Post Blog: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/22/the-real-reason-general-mills-is-cutting-fake-flavors-from-trix-lucky-charms-and-other-cereals/
- Trans Fat Ban
- Shinrin Yoku Update, Viewing Nature Improves Health
- Contact me (Angelo) with any of your questions or comments and I may respond on the show (with your permission).
- Thank you Christian D. in Houston, TX; Charles W. in Parts Unknown; and Soine N. in South Portland, ME.
- Thank you as well to those who have established automatic monthly donations. Your continuing support is greatly appreciated.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Start a risk-free 30-day Audible.com trial and get your first book totally free—if you don't care for the book you choose, you can swap for another, no questions asked. Use this link to sign up, and you'll also help support the show: http://www.audibletrial.com/HumansAreNotBroken.
After the Bell
- David H. Newman — The Truth That Lasts
- YouTube.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDB6iBOhuq0
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/100603/three-minutes-to-escape - Purakai
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro