On this episode, we welcome Dr. Joel Kahn to the show. He is a decorated cardiologist and a Clinical Professor of Medicine at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit. Dr. Joel is a proponent of using lifestyle choices to prevent and even reverse heart disease. We discuss diet and dietary fat, heart health, The Daniel Plan, The North Karelia Project, Ancel Keys, commonalities between Paleo and Vegan diets, and much more.
- Plant Paleo Part 2: Grains, Legumes, Fiber, and Antinutrients
- Humans Are Not Broken: http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/plant-paleo-part-2-grains-legumes-fiber-and-antinutrients/
- Hidden Kingdoms
- BBC One, Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_1zfHaL3A
- On Netflix: https://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70305470?trkid=13462047
- Dr. Joel Kahn
- Social Media
- Other links from the discussion
- Diet for a New America by John Robbins: US • CA • UK • DE
- 2-week African-American / South-African Diet Swap: http://www.upmc.com/media/NewsReleases/2015/Pages/diet-swap.aspx
- Dr. Dean Ornish: http://ornishspectrum.com/
- The Daniel Plan: http://www.danielplan.com/
- Rich Roll: http://www.richroll.com/
- Harvard School of Public Health Response to 'Saturated Fat is Harmless' Meta-analysis: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/03/19/dietary-fat-and-heart-disease-study-is-seriously-misleading/
- The North Karelia Project (Finland CVD): http://www.epi.umn.edu/cvdepi/study-synopsis/north-karelia-project/
- Dr. Robert Vogel on Endothelial function: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803568
- Dr. Robert Vogel on Bloodflow & Fat Consumption: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-larrowe-bergersen/olive-oil-health_b_816011.html
- HUGE THANKS to everyone who made a donation for this episode. Your support truly helps to make the show possible. The Listener Patron segment will be back on the next episode, and I look forward to thanking each of you on the show at that time.
- My continuing gratitude and thanks to all Latest in Paleo supporters who have set up recurring monthly donors!
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
- Amazon US • Amazon UK • Amazon CA • Amazon DE
- Free 30-day Audible Membership - Get some reading done on your commute or walks—and help support Latest in Paleo while you're at it! Audible is an Amazon company that provides audiobooks you can listen to on your phone, music player, or computer. Your free trial includes two free audiobooks of your choice.
After the Bell
- Chimamanda Adichie — The Danger of a Single Story
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Bluesy Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro Music
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1215555/smile - Dr. Joel's Story
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1099318/your-own-business - Dr. Joel Interview
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/21501/trust - eMeals
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro