On this episode: the most and least addictive foods; the "ingredients" that don't make it onto the label; sauna bathing increases lifespan for men; time in the sun prevents diabetes. Also, we touch on some rewilding; there's a Moment of Paleo segment about simplicity in food. After the Bell features an excellent TED Talk about Biomimicry.
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Earth: A New Wild
- Dandy Blend
- Kirkland Ito En Matcha Green Tea
- Highly Addictive Foods
- PLoS One (study): http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0117959
- CBS News: (video): http://www.cbsnews.com/news/are-you-a-food-addict-take-the-yale-food-addiction-scale-survey/
- Orlando Sentinel: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/the-list/os-study-most-least-addictive-foods-post.html
- Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/02/18/highly-processed-foods-tied-to-addictive-eating-may-pave-way-for-obesity/
- Wikipedia (Rat Park): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Park
- Inside the Food Industry
- The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/21/a-feast-of-engineering-whats-really-in-your-food
- (The Book) Swallow This: Serving Up the Food Industry's Darkest Secrets - USA • CAN • UK • DEU
- Science Daily: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150225132105.htm
- CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/food-additives-linked-to-obesity-digestive-problems/
- Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/natural-flavorings-are-bullshit-1686398179
- Sauna Bathing Cuts Risk of Death
- JAMA (study): http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2130724
- WJHG (video): http://www.wjhg.com/news/newschannel7today/headlines/Sauna-Use-Could-Extend-LIfe-293990191.html
- The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11430239/Saunas-protect-middle-aged-men-against-heart-attacks.html
- Food Consumer: http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Non-food/Lifestyle/sauna_bathing_cardiovascular_disease_0224151235.html
- More Time in Sun Prevents Diabetes
- Newsy.com (video): http://www.newsy.com/videos/getting-more-sun-could-help-ward-off-diabetes/
- Endocrine Society: https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/current-press-releases/vitamin-d-deficiency-linked-more-closely-to-diabetes-than-obesity
- Medical Daily: http://www.medicaldaily.com/vitamin-d-lowers-colon-cancer-risk-what-cant-sunshine-vitamin-help-318068
- WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20150223/low-levels-of-vitamin-d-linked-to-type-2-diabetes-risk
- US News & World Report: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015/02/24/a-common-vitamin-deficiency-may-raise-your-diabetes-risk-more-than-obesity
- Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/02/24/lay-off-the-mega-doses-of-vitamin-d/
- British Medical Journal: http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2015/01/13/gutjnl-2014-308852.abstract?sid=6dc91d83-e0b4-476c-a072-49b0e0a55c02
- Medical Xpress: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-02-cautious-vitamin-d-supplementation-chronic.html
- JAMA: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2165869
- Thank you Philip K. in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; Deepak M. in Jersey City, NJ; Mirza J. in Santa Clara, CA; and Karen F. in Ellsville, MO.
- Thank you as well to those who have established automatic monthly donations. Your continuing support is greatly appreciated.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Moment of Paleo
- Food Simplicity
After the Bell
- Janine Benyus - Biomimicry in Action - TED Talk
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1119895/river - Purakai
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/760302/sitting-on-the-grass - TX Bar Organics
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro