Today's show opens with documentary and book recommendations. Then, in the News & Views segment: Study suggests healthy diets must be individualized; how the Western diet is derailing evolution. In the Shinrin-Yoku Update: How access to nature affects communities; disturbing losses in the Amazon. We have a Moment of Paleo segment on risk and thankfulness. To close things up, the After the Bell segment is about how to staying calm and make better decisions when we know a stressful situation is coming up.
- PuraKai - NEW!! Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Check out the Purakai Kickstarter! They're recycling beer bottles and turning them into awesome shirts! Check out the video at the link. Shirts and beanies ship December 15th.
- Documentary Recommendation
- Seeds of Permaculture
- Full Movie (YouTube): https://youtu.be/2cr10nOm0xU
- Top Documentary Films: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/seeds-permaculture/
- Seeds of Permaculture
- Book Recommendation
News & Views
- Healthy Diet is Determined at the Individual Level
- Journal Cell (study): http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(15)01481-6
- Meta (with video): http://news.meta.com/2015/11/19/cell-nutrition-is-personal-identical-foods-produce-healthy-and-unhealthy-responses-in-different-individuals/
- The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/22/what-is-healthy-eating
- The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/11/algorithm-creates-diets-that-work-for-you/416583/
- NY Magazine: http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/10/future-of-dieting-is-personalized-algorithms.html
- Science News: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/good-diet-you-may-be-bad-me
- Science Alert: http://www.sciencealert.com/universal-diets-don-t-work-because-healthy-foods-differ-by-individual-study-finds
- Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/no-one-size-fits-all-diet-plan_564d605de4b00b7997f94272
- Newsy.com: http://www.newsy.com/videos/if-your-diet-isn-t-working-new-research-has-a-theory-why/
- Calories Proper (Bill Lagakos): http://caloriesproper.com/personalized-nutrition-by-prediction-of-glycemic-responses/
- Reddit AMA: https://goo.gl/XPXbWq
- Diet & Microbiome
- Nautilus: http://nautil.us/issue/30/identity/how-the-western-diet-has-derailed-our-evolution
- U.S. News & World Report: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2015/11/19/q-a-with-a-gut-microbiome-scientist
- FastCo.Exist: http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052497/this-new-personal-poop-banking-service-lets-you-save-your-microbiome-for-a-rainy-day
Shinrin Yoku Update
- Community in Nature:
- Journal Bioscience: http://bioscience.oxfordjournals.org/content/65/12/1141
- More than Half of Amazonian Trees Face Extinction
- Thank you Jennifer C. in Charlottesville, VA; Andre C. in El Paso, TX; Gregory V. in Birmingham, AL.
- Thank you as well to those with ongoing monthly donations. Your continuing support is greatly appreciated.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Moment of Paleo
- On Risk & Thankfulness
- Slate Magazine, Pinker Article
After the Bell
- Daniel Levitin: How to stay calm when you know you'll be stressed
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/21501/trust - PuraKai
- https://soundcloud.com/angelocoppola/playing-with-spirit - Shinrin Yoku Update
- http://thehadzalastofthefirst.com/watch-now/ (from a scene herein)- Listener Questions
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2Ht2fuP2w - Moment of Paleo
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aufuwMiKmE (from the beginning)- After the Bell