On this episode, we dig into a popular recent study that tells us eating whole grains increases life expectancy; we look at whether there is validity to a claim that the Paleo diet erases the benefits of exercise, as explained by Dr. Michael Greger; I recap my 4 1/2 years of eating Paleo, offer a critique of the current direction of Paleo, and I answer a listener's questions about my current Paleo eating framework. After the Bell, it's a diet debate between three doctors: low-carb/high-fat, plant-based whole food, and Vegan.
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Finding Friluftsliv // a documentary
- Hadza: The Last of the First
- Eat Whole Grains to Live Longer
- Harvard School of Public Health: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/more-whole-grains-linked-with-lower-mortality-risk/
- Journal of American Medical Association: http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2087877
- Newsy: http://www.newsy.com/videos/eat-whole-grains-to-up-your-chances-of-a-long-life/
- Live Sciences: http://www.livescience.com/49318-whole-grain-lower-mortality.html
- ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/bowl-oatmeal-day-key-longer-life-major-study/story?id=28027624
- National Post: http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/05/a-bowl-of-oatmeal-a-day-may-keep-grim-reaper-at-bay-whole-grains-protect-against-heart-disease-early-death-harvard-study-finds/
- Dr. Mirken: http://drmirkin.com/nutrition/whole-grains-help-you-live-longer.html
- WGC: http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/teff-and-millet-november-grains-of-the-month
- WGC: http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/wild-rice-september-grain-of-the-month
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: http://www.pnas.org/content/107/44/18815.full.pdf+html
- Smithsonian: http://smithsonianscience.org/2011/01/starch-grains-found-on-neandertal-teeth-helps-debunk-theory-their-extinction-was-caused-by-dietary-deficiencies/
- Paleo Diets May Negate Benefits of Exercise
- NutritionFacts.org: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/paleo-diets-may-negate-benefits-of-exercise/
- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Insulin Index Study): http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
- WKU (Paleo Exercise Study): http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1576&context=ijes
Kerry C. in Chandler, Arizona sent me an email full of questions about my current eating norms, and since these questions may be on your mind as well, I'm answering them on today's show:
- Do you tend to eat mostly local and seasonal fruits and vegetables? Any frozen?
- I noticed you drink less kombucha now.... how about other fermented foods or drinks, are they included in a general vegetable category? Do you make your own?
- Do you eat dairy other than butter and ghee?
- Want to cook without oil? We're using these pans to saute in water or broth.
- I have a sensitivity to gluten.... which led me down the paleo/PHD path... do the occasional grains you consume include wheat? Maybe sprouted?
- I've found your take on legumes interesting and I do eat them sometimes.... do you cook your own, soaking and cooking for a long period of time so that the anti nutrients are decreased?
- Do you eat many avocados? They seem so highly recommended in the paleo world.
- I have basmati rice for my starch quite often. What do you think about the enrichment ingredients of parboiled rice? And are you concerned about arsenic? Do you eat rice noodles?
Do you have any questions for me? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that I won't be able to respond to all emails on the show. I will, however, do my best to get back to you.
- Thank you Nick F in Worcestershir, United Kingdom; Chris J. in Santa Cruz, CA; Doug F. in Chelsea, MI; Rita L. in Davenport, WA; Carolyn C. in Westport, CT; James M. in Tempe, AZ; and Arthur V. in Belmar, NJ. Thank you as well to those who have established automatic monthly donations.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
After the Bell
- Three Doctors Debate the Best Way to Eat
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1119895/river - Purakai
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/760302/sitting-on-the-grass - TX Bar Organics
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro