On today's show, we tackle the recent BBC Horizon special called Sugar vs. Fat; also Subway's bread controversy; there's reason for concern regarding Vitamin C & E supplements as they relate to endurance training; the latest research on added sugar and heart disease; the government's sugar guideline boards ties to the food industry; and heart healthy sugar snacks. Also, we talk about False Dilemmas in the Moment of Paleo and we hear a conversation about Evidence Based Medicine in the After the Bell segment.
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Iceman Murder Mystery
- Short Message from the False Advertising Industry
- YouTube: http://youtu.be/AV_Y_bvYmws
- Subway to Remove Additive From Bread
- Vitamin C & E Hinder Endurance Training
- CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vitamin-c-and-e-supplements-may-hinder-endurance-training/
- Nature World News: http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/5854/20140203/vitamin-c-e-negatively-affect-endurance-training.htm
- Food sources of Vitamin E (% DR per 100g): Sunflower seeds (176%), almonds (127%), spinach (10%)
- Food sources of Vitamin C (% DR per 100g): Red & green chile peppers (404%), bell peppers (206%), kale (200%), oranges/strawberries (100%)
- Sugar vs. Fat
- Excess Sugar from Soda Leads to Higher Rates of Cardiovascular Disease
- Fox News (Thanks, Julia M.): http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/02/04/excess-sugar-consumption-from-soda-desserts-leads-to-higher-rates-of-cardiovascular-death/
- Trove.com (Thanks, Robin): https://trove.com/me/content/WQ4or?chid=4478
- CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-too-much-sugar-is-linked-to-fatal-heart-disease/
- Medical News Today: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272112.php
- Also, New Scientist, Sugar on Trial: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129540.500-sugar-on-trial-what-you-really-need-to-know.html?full=true
- Sugar Czars in Bed with Sugar Giants (Thanks, Mark A.)
- Certified Heart Healthy Junk Food Fruit - Yoni Freedhoff
- YouTube: http://youtu.be/PfGzJ4mkSa0
- Thank you Meg M. in La Plata, MD; Wayne O. in Mukilteo, WA; Paul C. in Brazil; Dan T. in Harrington Park, Australia; and Marcus A. in Cambridge, MA.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Moment of Paleo
- The False Dilemma
After the Bell
- Evidence Based Medicine
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro