On today's show we discuss the topic of stress and how living in urban cities appears to affect our brains. A recent study shows that people who were raised in cities versus rural areas process stress differently. Another study examines the mental benefits of walking in nature. We talk about how our self-talk and tendency to over-generalize can cause us mental distress. And, a recent report by the World Wildlife Fund indicates that animal populations around the globe are also under stress...and dying at a fast rate. The Moment of Paleo segment is called "Becoming You." And, the After the Bell segment features a TEDx Talk, "Nature as Source Code."
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Trailer & Homepage: http://microbirth.com/english/
- Stress & the City
- Study: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v474/n7352/full/nature10190.html
- Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/stress-and-the-city-urban-decay-1.11556
- The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/feb/25/city-stress-mental-health-rural-kind
- The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/living-sick-and-dying-young-in-rich-america/282495/
- YouTube, Richard Manning: http://youtu.be/YjNvSQKdF_s
- GWERN: http://www.gwern.net/docs/nature/2010-peen.pdf
- Latest on Walking
- Group Walks in Nature
- Study, Group Walking: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/eco.2014.0027
- Outside Magazine: http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Study-Hiking-Makes-You-Happier.html
- University of Michigan: http://www.uofmhealth.org/news/archive/201409/walking-depression-and-beating-stress-outdoors-nature-group
- Biking / Walkintg to Work Reduces Stress:
- YouTube, Dr. John Arden: http://youtu.be/GPjmzsGxCxE
- Group Walks in Nature
- Neanderthink: No Shame on You
- Psychology Today: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200801/neanderthink-no-shame-you
- 50% of Wild Life Gone in Last 40 Years
- WWF (video, PDF Report): http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/all_publications/living_planet_report/
- The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/29/earth-lost-50-wildlife-in-40-years-wwf
- AlterNet: http://www.alternet.org/environment/earth-lost-50-its-wildlife-past-40-years-says-wwf
- Thank you Tony P. in Tucson, AZ; Mark B. in Queensland, Australia; Ian A. in Brooklyn, NY; and Michael L. in London, UK.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Moment of Paleo
- Becoming You
After the Bell
- Nature as Source Code - TEDx Regina - Trevor Herriot
- YouTube: http://youtu.be/hZsVZR6uWcY
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1119895/river - Purakai
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/760302/sitting-on-the-grass - TX Bar Organics
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro