On today's show we have a rewilding update; we discuss recent media coverage of the Paleo lifestyle (pro and con); a study indicates that artificial sweeteners can disrupt the microbiome and lead to metabolic disorders; we cover Mark Bittman's thoughts on home cooking; and also an interesting idea about how fire has made us who we are...and it's not just cooking. The Moment of Paleo segment is titled Animism and Generalities. And After the Bell, it's a TED talk called The Surprising Science of Happiness.
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Rewilding Update: Hairy Pigs Restore Heath Lands
- Paleo Way of Life
- ABC, Good Morning America: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/popular-paleo-diet-life-25833374?tab=9482931§ion=1206835
- New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/fashion/the-paleo-lifestyle-the-way-way-way-back.html?_r=0
- Big Think: http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and-reality/the-paleo-movement-and-the-naturalistic-fallacy
- Sugar Substitutes Linked to Obesity
- Study: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html
- Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/sugar-substitutes-linked-to-obesity-1.15938
- CBS News (video): http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/sour-news-about-artificial-sweeteners/
- Food Politics: http://www.foodpolitics.com/2014/09/do-artificial-sweeteners-cause-not-cure-glucose-intolerance/
- PBS: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/artificial-sweeteners-dont-mix-well-microbiomes/
- Wall Street Journal (video): http://www.wsj.com/video/study-raises-questions-about-artificial-sweeteners/7F36A39D-ACB0-401A-B473-E0203D2D4591.html
- The Truth About Home Cooking
- Fire May Explain Evening Entertainment Preference
- The Economist: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21620048-invention-fire-may-explain-preference-evening
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Science: http://www.pnas.org/content/111/39/14027.abstract
- Marks Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-conduct-a-personal-experiment-yellow-light-exposure-plus-an-announcement/
- Thank you Judy A in San Francisco, CA; Kevin M. in Montclair, NJ; Pedro C. in Recife, Brazil; Darryl T. in Birmingham, AL; and Deepak M. in New York, NY .
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Moment of Paleo
- Animism and Generalization
After the Bell
- Dan Gilbert: The Surprising Science of Happiness - TED Talk
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1119895/river - Purakai
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/760302/sitting-on-the-grass - TX Bar Organics
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro