On this weeks show: the significance of the unknown; cost differences between healthy and unhealthy diets; healthy obesity; vitamin D supplementation may be ineffective; humans are becoming more carnivorous; the science of ancestral memories. In the Moment of Paleo: psychological priming. After the Bell it's Joel Salatin, followed by Alan Watts.
Support for the Show
- ManGrate - Just set a ManGrate on your grill and you get 8 lbs of iron that reduce flare ups, hold the heat, cooks your meat like the pros, and leaves perfect grill marks every time. See the video that explains it here. Great for the holidays!
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Listeners Making Donations
- Thank you Tom S. in Tipp City, OH; Eric P. in Glastonbury, CT; Fouad Kassab, Summer Hill, New South Wales, Australia; Jim H. in Muskogee, OK; Michelle M. in Chapel Hill, NC; Eric G. in Reno, NV.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing, helps the show big time.
- Man Who Has Something Seriously Wrong With Him On A Fundamental Level Leaves That Part Off OKCupid Profile
- All Trials
- All Trials: http://www.alltrials.net/
- The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It (book about drug company corruption, written by former editor in chief of New England Journal of Medicine - thanks, Anne T.)
- What Doctors Don't Know About the Drugs They Prescribe - TED Talk
- Cost Difference Between a Health & Unhealthy Diet (Thanks, Christina C.)
- NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/12/05/249072685/what-separates-a-healthy-and-unhealthy-diet-just-1-50-per-day
- Newsy: http://www.newsy.com/videos/study-shows-price-gap-between-healthy-and-unhealthy-foods/
- Harvard Gazette: http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/12/pinpointing-the-higher-cost-of-a-healthy-diet/
- Canada.com: http://www.canada.com/health/Poverty+clouds+brain+professor/8852668/story.html
- No Such Thing as Healthy & Obese
- NBC: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/new-research-disputes-fat-fit-claim-2D11678836
- CNN: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/03/study-theres-no-such-thing-as-healthy-obesity/?hpt=he_t3
- NY Times (earlier this year): http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/the-healthy-obese-and-their-healthy-fat-cells/
- Study: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1784291
- Healthy Urban Kitchen: http://healthyurbankitchen.com/blog/obesity-how-the-media-misleads-you/
- Stephan Guyanet: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2013/12/does-metabolically-healthy-obesity-exist.html
- Study Suggests Vitamin D Supplementation Does Not Prevent Chronic Disease
- Newsy: http://www.newsy.com/videos/study-says-vitamin-d-doesn-039-t-prevent-chronic-diseases/
- Guardian Express: http://guardianlv.com/2013/12/vitamin-d-supplements-may-not-be-as-valuable-as-once-thought/
- WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20131205/vitamin-d-supplements-wont-help-prevent-disease-review
- Food Consumer: http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Nutrition/Vitamins/cooking_and_vitamin_d_retention_1207131216.html
- Humans are Becoming More Carnivorous (Thanks, Iestyn L.)
- Memories Pass Between Generations (Thanks, Matt C.)
Moment of Paleo
After the Bell
- Joel Salatin's Opening in the 'Don't Eat Anything With a Face' Debate
- Alan Watts - Give it Away and it Will Come Back
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro