On this week's show we discuss the GMO labeling vote, the statin controversy follow-up, athleticism and diabetes, prolonging life with nuts, The Ritz Cracker Deficiency, human food and the microbiomes of hunter gatherers. There is a Moment of Paleo that touches on the ideas of trust in corporations and others. After the Bell there are 4 excellent clips for your enjoyment.
Support for the Show
- ManGrate - Just set a ManGrate on your grill and you get 8 lbs of iron that reduce flare ups, hold the heat, cooks your meat like the pros, and leaves perfect grill marks every time. See the video that explains it here. Great for the holidays!
- PuraKai - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for free shipping on all orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible threads. PuraKai is the grass-fed beef of clothing. Clothing for men, women & children. Check out the new beanies!
- TX Bar Organics - Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" to save 10% (one word, all lowercase). Grass-fed and grass finished raised on a family ranch in California. They provide steaks, roasts, offal cuts, ribs, stew meat, ground beef and more shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- Listeners Making Donations
- Thank you Sascha N. in Hampshire, UK; Matt P. in Slovenia; John M. in Medfield, MA; Scott J. in Lakewood, CO; Jason A. in New Market, MD; Penny A.-L in Raleigh, NC.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing, helps the show big time.
- Colbert, Washington GMO Initiative (Thanks, Kallie F.)
- Statins Controversy
- NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/18/health/risk-calculator-for-cholesterol-appears-flawed.html
- Newsy (video): http://www.newsy.com/videos/huge-flaws-found-in-newly-released-cholesterol-calculator/
- LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-statins-risk-calculator-20131119,0,4712950.story
- WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20131118/some-doctors-challenge-new-statin-guidelines
- NHLBI: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/press-releases/1999/brisk-walking-reduces-risk-of-heart-attack-in-women.html
- A Current Affair, Australia: http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8759175/experts-fight-for-heart-tick-removal
- Athletes and Type 2 Diabetes
- Do Nuts Prolong Life?
- The Ritz Cracker Deficiency (Thanks, Don S.
- Global News / The Morning Show (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpHH2olUWA
- National Post (Thanks, Janell R.): http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/19/mothers-meal-of-meat-potatoes-carrots-milk-not-good-enough-for-daycare-charged-10-to-add-ritz-crackers
- BoingBoing: http://boingboing.net/2013/11/18/mother-fined-10-for-not-inclu.html
- Human Food
- Human Food Project: http://humanfoodproject.com/please-pass-microbes/
Moment of Paleo
- Trusting Corporations and Humans
After the Bell
- Dissolving Stress with the Higher Mind - 180DegreeHealth.com
- Oprah Winfrey & Tony Robbings (video): http://180degreehealth.com/2013/11/dissolving-stress-with-the-higher-mind/
- NEJM Quick Take Nuts & Death
- New England Journal of Medicine: http://www.nejm.org/action/showMediaPlayer?doi=10.1056/NEJMoa1307352&aid=NEJMoa1307352_attach_1&&
- Gut Bacteria Might Guide the Workings of the Mind (Thanks, John L.)
- Lipitor Paradox (Thanks, Don S.)
- YouTube (video): http://youtu.be/GqdzJLOQM2I
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro