In this episode's News & Views, we look at a study that says junk food's not so bad; another study that says sugar is toxic; and a disturbing report that shows mortality rates are on the rise for middle-aged white Americans. In the Shinrin-yoku segment, we look at a statistics about how much time kids are spending in nature. Our Moment of Paleo is about expectations. After the Bell features writer Andrew Solomon. Plus, a "superhuman" documentary and a book recommendation, too.
- PuraKai - NEW!! Use coupon code "latestinpaleo" for 15% off clothing orders. Amazingly comfortable, responsible and stylish clothing & now eco-friendly stand-up paddle (SUP) boards, too! PuraKai: beach clothing & crafts for a Pure Ocean!
- Check out the Purakai Kickstarter! They're recycling beer bottles and turning them into awesome shirts! Check out the video at the link. Shirts and beanies ship December 15th.
- Documentary Recommendation
- VICE, Iceman Wim Hof: http://www.icemanwimhof.com/vice-documentary#vice-video
- Book Recommendation
News & Views
- Junk Food Not So Bad?
- Cornell: http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/OP/fast_food_science
- Newsy: http://www.newsy.com/videos/new-study-says-you-can-eat-your-cake-and-fast-food-too/
- HuffPo: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fast-food-and-soda-obesity-not-the-culprit_563cf83fe4b0411d3070e9d3
- International Association for the Study of Obesity: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2008.00477.x/asset/j.1467-789X.2008.00477.x.pdf
- Science Alert: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2008.00477.x/asset/j.1467-789X.2008.00477.x.pdf?v=1&t=igvdhum8&s=458c962d93fb75e7659508ab380d7c5bd2fe9cca
- Sugar is Toxic
- TIME: http://time.com/4087775/sugar-is-definitely-toxic-a-new-study-says/
- The Science Times: http://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/7610/20151101/study-concluded-sugar-toxic.htm
- CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/03/health/gupta-sugar-study-kids/index.html
- STATS.org: http://www.stats.org/glaring-flaws-in-sugar-toxicity-study/
- Nutrevolve: http://nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2015/10/kids-sugar-and-metabolic-mechanisms.html
- Middle-aged White Death Rate on the Rise
Shinrin Yoku Update
- Children Missing Whole Side to Life
- Independent Ireland: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/children-missing-whole-side-to-life-by-not-spending-enough-time-outdoors-34179537.html
- (neck and back pain later on from iPads? expectations later in life?)
- Thank you Ian J. in London, UK.
- Thank you as well to those who have established automatic monthly donations. Your continuing support is greatly appreciated.
- And you, too! Use a Latest in Paleo Amazon Link before your next online purchase...costs you nothing and makes Latest in Paleo possible. It's as easy as using one of the links below to visit the Amazon homepage for your country to reach Amazon's homepage.
Moment of Paleo
After the Bell
- TED: Andrew Solomon — Depression, the Secret We Share
This Week's Music Selections
- http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/29148 - Opening
- http://ccmixter.org/files/Zapac/26047 - Intro
- https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/21501/trust - PuraKai
- https://soundcloud.com/angelocoppola/playing-with-spirit - Shinrin Yoku Update
- http://thehadzalastofthefirst.com/watch-now/ (from a scene herein)- Listener Questions
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2Ht2fuP2w - Moment of Paleo
- http://ccmixter.org/files/rocavaco/24638 - Outro
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aufuwMiKmE (from the beginning)- After the Bell